Re: Albumen toning questions/Polytoner

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> At 04:34 PM 05/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >I understand that Kodak's long running Polytoner-- which I use regularly--
> >has been discontinued. Arthur
> >
>   Polytoner is gone and Agfa Viradon, which used to be a similar
> combination sulfide and selenium toner, no longer has selenium in it.
>   However, you can make what is essentially Kodak Polytoner from Kodak
> Brown Toner and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner.

My inclination would be to use the "liver of sulfur" formula from
Photographic Facts and Formulas... that's sulfurated potash (so called to
be quaint, but actually potassium sulfide), available several places
including Tri-Ess.  My *memory* is that that's supposed to be more
archival than selenium, and since they're bound to discontinue the other
toners as well... why have to switch again?

I also would not if possible to avoid use Kodak brown toner -- that's the
REALLY REALLY stinky one (sodium sulfide), n'est-ce pas?  Why not use
thiocarbamide?

Judy