Consistency Is No Hobgoblin

From: Jeff Buck (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 11/12/02-08:58:04 PM Z

Actually, it's the tendency of a phenomenon to recur in the same
form.... Anyway, after doing platinum/palladium for about fifteen months
now, I find if very difficult to achieve. I arrive at a print that is
satisfying. I want to repeat it. So, I use the same paper, the same
chemicals (plain FO, pure palladium, PO w/ sodium dicromate mostly), the
same exposure, and the same developer. As for ambient temperature and
humidity, I can get pretty close to repeating, especially this time of year
when I'm producing both artificially (by and large). Like the last couple
days, I'm printing this negative, and the temp is between 65F and 70F, the
humidity is in the range of 60% to 70%. In each instance, the paper has
been laying out in the area of that temp and humidity for a few hours; it's
a little "heavy" and tacky to the touch. I guess I made four prints in
these conditions (I was double-coating Platine, if that makes any
difference). There were notable differences in the overall darkness of the
prints and in degree of contrast. Would you expect discernible differences
working within these variations in temp and humidity? How do you measure
the temperature of the FO and platinum or palladium? I'm squeamish, maybe
for no reason, about putting a thermometer into a bottle of precious metal....