Re: Consistency Is No Hobgoblin

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/12/02-10:04:48 PM Z

Clay wrote:

>Jeff:
>
>What are you using for your light source? And how are you timing it
>or measuring it. I find I get pretty consistent results with the
>same materials and ambient conditions... But I'm using a Nuarc most
>of the time.

When using any UV light source without an integrator one is almost
certain to observe some small differences in print density, even when
all other things are held to absolute consistency. I find this to be
true with both my bank of BL tubes and with the HID lamp when used
without the integrator.

If one must work without the integrator it is best to do so when the
house is relatively quite and there are no large and sudden current
drains. Also, for maximum consistency all light sources should be
allowed to warm up for a few minutes before exposing. Two to three
minutes is enough for fluorescent tubes, while HID mercury vapor and
metal halide lamps need from 5-8 minutes to reach maximum output.

Sandy King