RE: cyanotype on glass

From: Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Date: 11/16/02-04:46:20 AM Z

Hei,

I have been doing cyanotypes on glass for years. My process is described in
Christopher James book "Alternative photographic processes".

Basicly, it is cleaning the glass well and using an even layer of harded
gelatine as a base. Next you have to add a few drops of concentrated
gelatine into cyanotype emulsion before coating it on glass. Everything is
to be holdt warm: glass plate, gelatine/cyanotype composition, even the
brushes, if you are using them. The best is though to pour everything over
and let it run off. Coated plate is to dry on a leveled table, so as it does
not run to one corner of the plate.

The tricky part is to get a good gelatine coating. I do it 3 times with a
thin gelatine solution, instead of giving one thick coat. Watch for bubbles
! Everything will show through the emulsion !

This worked better for me then grounding or etching the glass, which was
eating up transparency.

It is so easy, that even my newbies at a private course were doing it
successfully last week !

So let us all make photographs on glass ! It is beautifull !

Regards,

Galina.

Galina Manikova
Alternative alternative