Re: Gum Dichromate - Two Questions

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/16/02-11:19:24 PM Z

On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 09:14 PM, Temi wrote:

> Gum Dichromate - Two Questions
>
> No. 1 - When making gum prints, what are the pros and cons of using
> either Potassium dichromate or Ammonium dichromate.
>
> No. 2 - Where can I find the formula for making a size using glyoxalin
> instead of formalin? I would like a formula for mixing up a batch large
> enough for dipping paper.

As I mentioned the other day, there are about a gazillion different
formulas. The one I have been using has these proportions:

Water : 100ml
Gelatin : 4g
glyoxal (43%) : 4ml

let the gelatin 'bloom' in the water at room temperature for 20
minutes or so, then gradually bring it up to 140 degrees. I use a small
glass container in a larger container filled with 140 degree water to
heat it up. It'll get nice and clear when it is dissolved. I then add
the glyoxal, stir, and brush it onto the paper with a hake brush.

Just scale the proportions up to the volume you need.

Its simple, but it works for me.

Clay