Re: Ivorytype

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 11/18/02-11:29:53 PM Z

It is ironic that I too was watching the same TV show. the 'Ivorytype' is,
as I know, one of two possible methods.
It gained the name 'Ivorytype' from finely detailed scrimshaw work popular
from whaling vessels and other ventures. Some, as I understand it, were
actual collodion prints on flat sheets of ivory. But the primary methods
were:
1. A print painted carefully with colored varnishes and mounted to a sheet
of glass. The glass was first waxed, the print then
   placed on it, and, while still keeping it warm, was smoothed out with a
flat rod of hard wood or ivory. The appearance,
   behind the glass, is somewhat similar to the modern method first used by
German photographers such as Struth et al.

2. A print like the one mentioned above but light in tone and mounted to
the glass with wax BUT with another darker print
   placed behind it with gave it a fuller, darker more painterly look.

Both the versions were sealed with a paper backing.

I purchased a somewhat similar piece years ago. It was an albumen print on
glass lightly colored and toned (perhaps with a gold toner) and behind it
was another sheet of glass painted with oils which came through the albumen
print making it appear hand
colored. It was backed by wood.

Jack

   Hi,
    I was watching Antiques Road Show and they had a photograph on there
that was called a "Ivorytype" They claimed that there were only a few of
them known to be in existence from the 1850's .. It was hard for me to get a
close look as I live right next to downtown Cleveland , Ohio, so the
reception is awful... but it looked very much like a oil painting .....
Does anyone know of this process?
   The photo was a portrait of a well known historical person who invented
the submarine , and I think they valued it at $4000 to $6000..
John Cremati