Re: Re : GUM - STARCH ???

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/23/02-03:52:41 PM Z

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Erich Camerling wrote:

> Why,do you think,companies like KODAK,ILFORD, AGFA and FUJI still use
> gelatin for their films instead of PVA,acrylic,starch etc if that would be
> better ?

Erich, The size is only one of many variables in alt photo, a gelatin
size, for instance, works best with some emulsions, a starch or fish glue
or even PVA size for others. Not to mention that some variant of a medium
could function better with a different size, or none at all.

But I digress. I started to say that silver gelatin chemistry is nothing
at all like any of the several chemistries we use for "alt." The analogy
doesn't hold.

PLUS the gelatin they use is quite different from the gelatin we use (&
various gelatins have radically different results), and their papers are
often different as well.

And don't forget that gelatin is a factor in the sensitivity of silver.
Ie.,without gelatin all factory photography would have to be
re-jiggered... and then what? Silver polymer photography?

Judy