Re: toning VDB & kalli - 2 questions

rurmonas@senet.com.au
Date: 11/25/02-07:56:39 AM Z

Quoting Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>:

> A friend of mine is printing kallitype and VDB from a variety of digital
> negatives, and gotten some beautiful colors, especially a near-black on
> Stonehenge. But the consensus seems to be that both media must be gold or
> palladium or platinum toned to be archival.
>
> She's tried the gold toning method from Chris James's book, but it totally
> spoiled the color of both emulsions.. turning it from rich blue black to a
> conventional brown. That was toning before fixing.

Judy,

I may be wrong here, but my undestanding of VDB was that the thiosulphate
bath was not a fixing bath, but a simple way of providing sulphur to react
with the silver. As the silver is much finer than a silver bromide paper,
the conversion of silver to silver sulphide takes place. This is the same
as sepia toning and so the resulting print should be quite stable. I would
expect Kallitype to be similar.

> What about toning after fixing? Is that effective? It might also alter
> the color, but then it might not.

If my comments above are correct, then toning after the thiosulphate bath
would need something that will react with silver sulphide, as well as
any silver remaining in the print. Thus not all toning baths would be
suitable.

Perhaps someone will confirm / deny my understanding.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au