Re: toning VDB & kalli - 2 questions

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/24/02-10:04:10 PM Z

> What about selenium toning for these emulsions?

Judy:

I have no idea about the permanence trade-off (if any) between pre and
post fix toning. I do know that VDB's can be toned with very dilute
selenium at about 1:100 for about 30 seconds before the fixing bath.
Even with this brief immersion, I noticed some minor highlight
bleaching. And the tone did change to sort of a plummy brown color
that I didn't really care for.

I know the frustration about the toning issue. I helped my daughter do
some VDBs for her high school portfolio, and the color we both liked
the best was the un-toned, fixed VDBs. They have lasted about a year so
far with no discernable changes.

Clay