Re: TXT and Platinum Printing, was Re: demise of tri-x 8x10?

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 10/01/02-12:49:50 PM Z

Sandy King wrote:
> ... This is why I have suggested that the long toe of pt/pd
> prints, and of kallitypes for that matter, is not due for the most
> part to self-masking, but to some other mechanism of the process. If
> due to some other mechanism I would like to be able to control it.

I would agree at least for Pt/Pd, I am not familiar with kallitype. Not
only the long toe, but also the greater range it can take from the
negative. It may have something to do with the way the metal is
"organized" in the coating as opposed to silver halide crystals. But I
do not know of any research in this area for Pt/Pd. I also do not
believe that the paper surface nor that the metal is in the paper
(rather than on the surface in a gelatin) are reasons for the long toe.

I like to get my information on the straight line portion of the film
(i.e. not the film toe) so as to get better separation in the dark
values. Also it is sometimes desirable to not have a complete black in
the print (which may hide much of the print toe values) as much nuances
within the blacks can add more to a print.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/