Re: Poly Toner lots here...

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/02/02-04:28:57 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Schmitz" <gws1@columbia.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Poly Toner lots here...

> Hi Judy,
>
> Kodak Poly-toner is listed in the 1985 Arkin-Medo catalog
which
> describes it this way:
>
> "Kodak Poly-toner. For series of hues from reddish-brown
to very warm
> brown by means of various dilutions and toning times,
especially for
> warm-tone papers. Concentrated, single solution. Dilute
1:4 for
> reddish-brown tones, 1:50 for very warm tones. 1 qt
bottle or 1
> gal. jug. Ask us for current prices. E-010."
>
> I used Poly-toner when I worked for a commercial lab in
1972 or 1973
> so it was available then. I may also have an old bottle
from the
> 1950's or 40's down in the basement. I'll take a look and
get back to
> you.
>
> Best -greg
>

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Judy Seigel wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > <PRE>Thanks for the formulas, Richard.
> >
> > Does anyone know when "Poly Toner" was first marketed ?
I checked my old
> > Photographic Facts & Formulas, ca 1979. Not there. So I
checked Photo Lab
> > Index, also 1979. Not there either. My recollection
was that PLI listed
> > all the products, but only some formulas. My
recollection was apparently
> > wrong.
> >
> > Poly Toner wasn't listed, nor was Kodak Rapid Selenium.
However, there
> > was a formula for Kodak T-8, polysulfide toner, as
follows:

> > Water 750 ml
> > polysulfide (liver of sulfur) 7.5 g
> > sodium carbonate mono 2.5 g
> > water to make 1 liter.
> >
> > Agitate print for 15-20 min at 68F, for 3-4 min at 100
F.

> > This has the advantage that you can still make it if
Kodak discontinues
> > both KRS and brown toner, also polysulfide doesn't
stink.

> > What is Kodak's current brown toner? Their old brown
toner stank
> > something fierce -- so it was sodium sulfide, not
polysulfide. If you're
> > not making it with polysulfide, it's not the same thing
anyway.

> > J.
> > .

  I am not sure when Kodak started marketing either KBT or
Polytoner. KRST and KBT go back a long time. The Kodak
booklet with the combination toner formulas is dated 1953,
so both KBT and KRST were available then, but evidently not
Polytoner.