RE: x ray

dsbryant@mindspring.com
Date: 10/04/02-07:29:55 AM Z

Jonathan,

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:42:55 -0400 Jonathan Bailey <quryhous@midcoast.com>
wrote:

> Cecil,
>
> Yes!!! There certainly is a risk of fogging if
> they are x-rayed! I
> recommend you tell your brother to carry the
> boxes in his carry-on bag and
> to ask at the scanners for a hand inspection.

My 2 cents worth about traveling with film on domestic flights.

On my recent trip to California I carried many boxes of sheet film in my carry
on luggage (color and b&w). All boxes and rolls were passed through the x-ray
machines with no ill effects (exposed and unexposed). I would recommend not
asking for hand checking with opened boxes of sheet film as some inspectors
don't understand the concept. All boxes of exposed film were sealed with 3M
straping tape to prevent an inspector from opening them while I was unaware.

My carry on bag with my view camera equipment received the most attention on
my return in Las Vegas requireing a hand inspection. The bag carrying my film
passed through with no questions.

Trying to deceive the inspectors about film types my cause undue suspicion as
one of my travel mates found out when he tried to exempt low speed film from
scanning by telling them that the film was high speed. The inspector corrected
his mistake and the film was scanned.

I was most concerned with my exposed infrared roll film being scanned and hand
inspected. I taped all film cans shut just in case an over zealous inspector
tried to pop the top. As I said before there were no apparent ill effects from
the carry on scanners to my film including the IR.

Don Bryant