Re: x ray

From: epona (acolyta@napc.com)
Date: 10/04/02-08:18:35 AM Z

I had trouble with this long before Sept. 11.

Coming back from New Orleans we stopped off in North Carolina to change
flights. Of course, The plane was late so we were rushing. The
terminal was so designed that I had to go through a baggage check again
and was detained because I did not want them to X-Ray my 100 sheet box
of Tri-X 400 4x5. They insisted if it did not go through the scanner it
had to be hand inspected. I tried to explain to the lady that it was
photographic film, and therefore light sensitive, so she could not do
that unless she was in a darkened room. She did not get the concept at
all. She said if she did not get to hand check it or scan it, it had to
be checked with my luggage, which had, of course, already been put on
the darn flying machine that was about to leave in one minute. In
exasperation I ripped the 4x5 box open and pulled out sheets of film,
exclaiming, "Look! It's film! Now it's exposed! See, no bombs!" She
let me on the plane.

In the current climate I would definitely not lose my head as I did that
day. Luckily, there were only a few sheets left in one of the 25-each
bags conatained in the box, so I didn't lose that much film. It has
been suggested to me that for future travel I should mail my film ahead
of me, and pick it up when I arrive at my destination. Do international
mail services also X-Ray packages? I am planning a trip to Ireland next
year and this is a concern.

Cheers,
Christine

--
"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It