dye mordanting

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/06/02-09:25:21 AM Z

Dear Lists,
     Please excuse the cross posting.
     I've spent the last couple weeks experimenting with dye mordanting.
Not to confuse this with mordancage--mordancage is a bleach etch process
that leaves the gelatin in reverse relief, and dye mordanting results in no
relief. Mordancage employs hydrogen peroxide in its formulae always, dye
mordanting never. The gelatin is dissolved in mordancage, dye mordanting
never. Dye mordanting is just a method whereby the print is bleached in a
copper bath which converts the tones in the original print into ones which
will attract and absorb basic dyes proportionately, so you end up with a
redeveloped print that is in the color of the dye. Darks can remain if you
do not bleach all the way.
    My questions: I have yet been able to get the highlights to clear
completely. Neither has Nate Apkon. I have used the permanganate clear
bath which in my opinion does more to decolorize the dyes than it does clear
the highlights. I have used ammonia and no budge. I have used hot water.
Nope. I have rinsed the print overnight, like for 3/4 of a day. Nope. I
have found, certainly, that RC will clear faster, and my prints are *almost*
there, but so far my conclusion is that the process, without the clearing of
the highlights, resembles Berg color Toners, and that route would be so much
easier.
     Is there anyone out there who has successfully cleared highlights and
how?
Chris