Re: dye mordanting

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/06/02-08:49:26 PM Z

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Dear Lists,
> My questions: I have yet been able to get the highlights to clear
> completely. Neither has Nate Apkon. I have used the permanganate clear
> bath which in my opinion does more to decolorize the dyes than it does clear
> the highlights. I have used ammonia and no budge. I have used hot water.
> Nope. I have rinsed the print overnight, like for 3/4 of a day. Nope. I
> have found, certainly, that RC will clear faster, and my prints are *almost*
> there, but so far my conclusion is that the process, without the clearing of
> the highlights, resembles Berg color Toners, and that route would be so much
> easier.
> Is there anyone out there who has successfully cleared highlights and
> how?

Chris,

I've never done dye mordanting, so this could be utterly useless, but I've
done clearing baths where option of potassium permanganate, sodium sulfite
or sodium bisulfite was given (usually for dichromate stain).... I found
the potassium permanagate less efficient than either of the others. As I
recall a 10% solution (?) of those was called for, but also worked with
weaker. This may of course be apples & oranges, but possibly worth a try.

Judy