RE: PRINTING FRAMES

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/31/03-09:30:53 PM Z

Temi,

Creating tension with a strip of wood involves first laminating up
thin strips of wood around a frame with an arc at each end, like
making a shooting bow. It is pretty simple to do if you are good at
woodworking and laminating. If you are not I would recommend finding
a source for spring steel. In addition to whatever sources have
already been mentioned I would also suggest McMaster-Carr and MSC.
Both have extensive on-line catalogs that will allow you to search
for what you need and they both sell spring steel of the size you
need.

Just for your information I measured the spring steel on one of my
larger contact printing frames and it is about 0.07" thick by 1.25"
wide. For a frame 20X24" in size I would recommend that the spring
steel be about 0.08" thick, with the same width. Once you bend it to
the right shape that should give you sufficient pressure.

Sandy King