RE: Problem with cyanotype

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 10/12/02-10:30:44 AM Z

Richard,

Two things to look at. If you're getting a blue solution, it's probably the
condition of the chemicals, or contamination of mixing vessel. With poor
storage, ferric amm. citrate may start to become ferrous, or pot.
ferricyanide may start to turn to pot. ferrocyanide, and either change will
result in formation of Prussian blue on mixing, without UV exposure.

But your paper just might be unsuitable. Once I coated some scraps of paper
for tests, using an Arista APH film box for support. Instant deep blue
colour where I got some sensitiser on the box. Probably the box was acidic.
Just did a test - added a dash of tartaric acid solution to freshly mixed
cyanotype goo - it turned blue. Doubt if anyone makes acid art papers, but
could be a drop of acid has got into the system somewhere.

Liam