RE: Problem with cyanotype: Laim...Judy?

From: David Eastman (clearemulsions@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/14/02-09:48:10 PM Z

Hi all...

No experience with Cyanotype myself...
But I noticed a discrepancy in two posts here and
would like to see whats what.

Laim wrote:

"...your paper just might be unsuitable. Once I
 coated some scraps of paper for tests, using an
Arista APH film box for support. Instant deep blue
colour where I got some sensitiser on the box.
> Probably the box was acidic. Just did a test - added
a dash of tartaric acid solution to freshly mixed
cyanotype goo - it turned blue.

Then Judy wrote: "Cyano doesn't like alkali. Acid is
OK."

Did Judy make a Boo Boo?

Laim adds: "Doubt if anyone makes acid art papers, but
could be a drop of acid has got into the system
somewhere."

I don't know about that... I tested some papers about
5-6 years ago... a lot and found quite a few to be
acidic! Not all of these were drawing or watercolor
papers, but they were all potential substrates for
sensitizing. Also, not all Japanese papers I tested
were ok either.

Judy continues...
"One other thought comes to mind-- I have a
recollection of cyano turning blue on a cheap pulpy
paper, which we figured had some kind of alum in it."

This could have been the case... Not sure about all
the "alums", but isn't Chrome Alum is acidic?

Ray