Re: Digital negs from pigment printers?

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 10/13/02-11:12:14 PM Z

The 10000 prints 44" wide and with a RIP it prints as long as the roll of
paper, I believe...so maybe 50 feet? It prints on a variety of surfaces and
even a thicker foam core backed paper, since it has a straight through paper
path. It prints very fast and each cartridge holds a bucket of ink hehehehe
It has some other nice features too... a laser that checks the ink flow and
if it detects that one of the jets is clogs it stops and cleans it. It's a
very heavy duty printer and the paper handling is great... a vacuum system
assists the holding of the paper... I have run large sheets of rice paper
through it. I wouldn't run 1/4 inch plywood through it though. It also has
a way to adjust the number of passes when printing and you can set it to hold
the print for some substrates to dry before it drops it on the carpet...
actually it has a nice basket to catch the big stuff. The trailer hitch is
optional. I just moved mine halfway across the country in a semi and it
worked just fine after all that bouncing. I just unplugged it and we put it
on the original skid and styrofoam cradle. I didn't even remove the
cartridges. I decided not to tow it with the trailor hitch option through
the mountains.

I am not sure you could see the difference between 1440 and 2880 with the
naked eye... but you could with a loupe. You probably currently have a
printer that prints at 1440...how does it look?

The Epson pigment inks come out dry to the touch on Pictorico—immediately.
An old fashioned hair dryer? You mean the kind that has a bowl that fits
down over your head? There is no need for a hair dryer.... I like to let my
hair air dry anyway.

I don't have problems with the pigment inks drying on anything. I tested
them on a sheet of Epson Premium Photo Semigloss paper once by putting the
just finished print under a faucet and the ink did not run...then I turned on
the hot water..still no run....then I rubbed it with my finger and still no
run.... so then I ripped it in half and put it in a skillet of boiling
water....it ran a little, but not much. I don't boil my prints very often
anyway... once in a while I saute them with a touch of garlic... but that
depends on the content.

Pictorico clear film comes in 8.5 x 11, 13 x 19, and rolls that are 17" x 66'
and 24" x 66'. You have to be sure to print on the right side of the film
that has the ceramic coating. There is a notched corner to help you remember
which side. It's the dull side.

The epson pigment inks work so well because the tiny particles of pigment are
encapsulated in some sort of magic stuff... maybe that is what she means by a
"crystal".

Is a dye based ink more transparent than a pigment based ink? I don't know.
I wish I did know something about that.

Would you like a step tablet or something else made on Pictorico with pigment
inks to test?

I haven't sprayed damp ink. I think people who are using some pigment
inksets other than the Epson inkset are having to do this.

Hope this helps.

Mark Nelson

In a message dated 10/13/02 11:56:10 PM, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<
On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Judy,

> I have been using the 10000 with pigment inks (there is also a dye ink
> version option for the 10000) with Pictorico film and it comes out of the
> printer nice and dry. I don't have to use any fixative spray.

Does the pigment ink tend to stay wet on the Pictorico? What about good
old fashioned hair dryer?

> <<The Epson lady hazarded the opinion that the "crystal inks" would
> be unsuitable for negatives as actual crystals would sit on the paper and
> disrupt transmission.>>

> That's an interesting statement for her to make. Don't we kinda want the
ink
> to disrupt the light?

I refrained from going there, figuring this was beyond the lady's area of
expertise, but I thought her meaning might be that one crystal, being more
opaque than dye, would give as much density as a layer of several
crystals, therefore nuance would be lost.

> I think if I were testing any printer for digital negatives, I would start
> first with Pictorico film and hope the ink dried on it. If not, you might
> have to let it dry for a day and then spray with a fixative.

You spray a damp ink?

> Someone on this list mentioned that they were making negatives on Pictorico
> clear film with an Epson 2200 and Ultrachrome inks. The 2200 has a smaller
> (I think 3 picoliter) variable dot size and prints at 2880 x 1440. It
should
> give very smooth negatives. (for inkjet)

Have you -- or anyone -- compared a print from negative at 2880 dpi to one
at 1440 dpi in a hand-coated emulsion? Could you see a difference with
the naked (pardon the expression) eye?

And about the 10000, that's the one that prints 36 inches wide... or???