Digital negs from pigment printers?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/12/02-10:06:46 PM Z

Dear List,

I recently had a heart to heart talk with a representative of the Epson
company, who explained that current plans are to ultimately replace dye
ink printers (1160, 1280, 1520, 3000, among others) with printers using a
pigment ink they call ultra chrome, or some future version thereof.

It seems that the 2000P, which uses the earlier pigment, is already
discontinued in favor of 2200, which uses the newer version.

I'm wondering if anyone is making digital negatives with either of the
pigment inks, on the 2000P, 2200, or other. If so, on what substrates?
This may in fact have been mentioned on the list, but got by me. If so,
sorry. The Epson lady hazarded the opinion that the "crystal inks" would
be unsuitable for negatives as actual crystals would sit on the paper and
disrupt transmission.

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers,

Judy