Re: Digital negs from pigment printers?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/15/02-12:17:35 AM Z

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Microbanding runs in the direction of the print head... left to right. High
> resolution (1440 in your case) with Super Microweave on will sometimes solve
> this. Also, you can get it from not having the paper thickness lever set
> properly.

Unless there's some control I've missed, the 1160 won't do microweave on
any setting but 360 dpi, and I don't recall "super microweave" at any
speed.

> You can get "vertical" banding from the scanner. If the CCD's are not all
> functioning equally. Some scanners, like the Imacon, have a method of

This material wasn't scanned, it was purely made in photoshop -- a
fabricated 13 step test strip: 13 flat rectangles of graduated density.
The effect was faint very straight lines about 1/64th inch apart running
the length of the test strip (vertically) but in the print only visible
(faintly) in the highlights. So far seen only in the test strip print. I
thought it might be an artifact of the flat planes, which I think the
printer resents. Or anyway has trouble with.

> Passes refers to how many times the printer goes over the same portion of the
> paper to lay down ink. Usually more passes means smoother laydown of ink. I
> think the 10000 can be adjusted from 2, 4, 6, and 8 passes. I get the
> smoothest with 8, but it takes a little longer. You can see this both at the
> beginning and end of the print, where the paper stops moving, but the print
> head keeps making passes.
>
> I'm sure 360 will zip through the printer... but probably not the best
> negative... but maybe good enough for gum. heheheheeh just kidding.

Actually it was awful. I'd picked a difficult image,faces were very
spotty & the curve smoothed them wonderfully. Except at 360 dpi looked
like measles again.

> Error diffusion dither is what you want. That choice is a choice of the
> Epson driver, not a setting you program into the printer like the number of
> passes.

Hmmm, that's not clear -- I have to choose one or the other. Both options
are available on most settings.

> The Epson printer drivers differ somewhat between printers and of course
> between versions. They also differ in how they appear in different versions
> of Photoshop.

The b---ards never let you be. As I recall, I had more printing options
in Photoshop 4. This is 7. I've considered going back to 4 for these
negatives, but someone told me you shouldn't run both on same computer.
Is that true, or another urban myth?

J.