Re: paper and film testing

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 10/15/02-05:34:39 AM Z

Ray,

> I haven't read everything posted here yet, but you
> mention development by inspection several times...
> Just curious... are you planning to do this with
> straight regular chemistry...w/o any desensitizing?

Using a desensitizer isn't required. According to Michael A. Smith and
others, the film becomes desensitized to anemic exposures of light after
half of the total development time has elapsed.

> I have one of those dark green panchromtic safelight
> filters... even a pannchromatic safelight bulb... no
> matter how long I stayed in the dark, my eyes never
> got used to seeing in that more than almost 100%
> usless amount of light!

That may indicate that you could be partially color blind, not uncommon for
our male population.

> I could almost see better without those safelights
> turned on... Anyway the point is, those lights might
> frustrate you something terrible.

Photography can frustrate us all at times.

> I have never used desensitizers, but I would consider
> trying them if you really want to do development by
> inspection. Perhaps someone else with some more
> experience can share their thoughts on this...
>
> I wonder how valid the sensitometric data would be
> when processed this way?

Pretty valid since you are measuring the results of a process. Do you mean
would it be consistant? Repeat the test several times and measure.

My two cents worth,

Don Bryant

P.S. I've enjoyed reading Shannon's posts regarding film processing here and
on other lists. She has raised some interesting questions. I don't think her
questions about the testing reports being vague and confusing from the VC
Store are that unusal. I have a friend that tried them out and did not
receive an answer about what the suggested film speed either.