Not to mention OX - 2 RE: Problem with cyanotype: Laim...Judy?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/15/02-10:56:16 PM Z

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Liam Lawless wrote:

> Maybe irrelevant to the present enquiry, but try if you don't believe.
> Buffered paper may be bad, but seems that acid would be, also. And yes,
> alum is acidic.

Liam, I did this 15 years ago and it's no longer clear in memory (tho I
did write it up, as I recall, in the Post-Factory cyanotype issue) -- I
coated regular paper with various acids at various strengths and let dry
before coating with cyanotype.

In many/most cases the print was significantly improved -- deeper tone and
longer scale. I think acetic was one of them, but others as well and I
began doing it when I thought of it. I didn't think to use oxalic -- but
didn't someone on list recently mention coating paper with 1% oxalic acid
before making platinum print?

In any event and however, adding acid to the emulsion and coating the
paper with acid are not same thing -- although it occurs to me now that
one of the most widely used cyanotype formulas has got oxalic acid in both
A and B parts. See pages 32 and 33 in Post-Factory #5.

My tests showed that although this formula gave more intense blues the
first few days, it didn't keep well, and by a couple of weeks the
highlights were veiled. I called it OX-2, "the *other* cyanotype"
formula. But it's the main one given in several fancy texts... including
that English guy turns out a "handbook" every minute, what's his name ?

Judy