Re: Salt

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 10/18/02-10:09:53 AM Z

Cecil & Elizabeth Ward wrote:
> I need some sodium chloride to put with the palladium chloride to make
> solution D.
> Will Morton Rock Salt (for making ice cream) work?

Yes, but -
Some things to consider are:
+ Salt should be easy to dissolve quickly. Rock salt may need to be
crushed first.
+ Watch out for contaminants (or additives) in the salt. Some salts may
use anti-clumping agents which do not dissolve well or may react with
the sensitizer or coating mixture (could be good or bad).
+ Sea salt may contain manganese which may not dissolve and end up as a
dirt spec in the print.

Also the salt does not have to be sodium chloride; lithium, potassium,
or ammonium chlorides can be used as well. The salts can also be
mixed. Each will contribute its own characteristics in the print.

The proper amount of the selected salt to add can be found in my e-guide
from the link below. A bit too much of the chloride salt should not be
a problem, but not enough could result in excess metal that undesirably
ends up in the final print as stain or specs.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/