Re: Masa

From: Eric S. Theise (mataro@cyberwerks.com)
Date: 10/22/02-11:33:55 PM Z

jeffbuck@swcp.com writes:
> A couple questions -- I've heard it said (can't recall where)
> that it can be effective to mount a Masa print on colored mat board. Masa,
> like other Japanese papers (I'm told), is quite translucent. Has anyone done
> this? How?

I posted about this when I first joined the list; I did some cyanotypes
last year on masa, which I then chine colled to Somerset Satin.
I guess it technically wasn't chine colle, as I wasn't printing ink
from the copper plate, but basically I razor trimmed the cyanotype,
re-dampened it, put it face down onto a same-size copper plate, coated
it with wheat starch paste, and ran it through an etching press to affix
it to the Somerset.

I'd do it again.

Masa is easier to handle than some other Japanese papers I've worked
with. I've bought most of mine at the SFAI school store, but have seen
the stuff elsewhere locally. It is very inexpensive. I haven't worked
with it for a while, but "bright white" does not describe what I have.

--Eric