Masa

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 10/21/02-10:07:35 AM Z

Although I've not strayed much from Platine in the year or so I've been doing
this stuff, I pull out a little stash of Masa I have from time to time. Masa
has some good points. Interesting surfaces on both sides, both very usable.
Pretty easy to coat. Startlingly cheap. The one important drawback I see is
that it is very delicate. You have to be real careful in the wet
processing.... A couple questions -- I've heard it said (can't recall where)
that it can be effective to mount a Masa print on colored mat board. Masa,
like other Japanese papers (I'm told), is quite translucent. Has anyone done
this? How? With what effect? Finally, the "Masa" I have, which I got from
Kinsella, has a distinct cool (bluish) cast. This confuses me, becase Arentz
in his book describes the paper as "bright white" and Carl Weese, for one,
blinked with bafflement when I mentioned this phenomenon to him. Not that
it's a problem -- I've printed straight palladiums on Masa, and the result is
a good solid warm tone in the image area, including the hightlights (that is,
there's no remnant I can see of the cool tone of the unprocessed paper).
Still, I'd like to know what's up with that. What is the color of the Masa
any of you have purchased? Where did you get it? Is "Masa" the general term
for an array of different commercial products (as "Gampi" is)? Thanks. -jeff
buckels