Re: Book(s) query

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/23/02-10:12:46 AM Z

Of course many people on this list support the book "Why Art Cannot Be
Taught: A Handbook for Art Students" by James Elkins, which I believe
actually explains why art CAN be taught. If you look over Elkins over
simplifications and generalizations of how faculty interact with students,
you do see and interesting take on art and academia and what that means to
students and teachers alike and how communication could be improved. -Chris

>From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@attbi.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Book(s) query
>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:57:20 -0700
>
>Dear Group:
> A student asked me yesterday if I knew of a book, or books, on teaching
>in
>an art school or environment. Gee, good question . . so I am asking you.
> They elaborated upon the question by saying, "You know, what is a student
>supposed to learn? What is a teacher supposed to teach? What is expected of
>the student in terms of their knowledge and practice?"
>I thought of 'Criticizing Photographs' by Terry Barret but was stymied.
>Yes,
>we know of the heuristic and/or empirical plan/method and I could go on and
>elaborate regarding what I know, understand and feel. However, the question
>remains asking are there books on the subject.
> Thanks for any replies.
> Jack Fulton

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.