Re: Book(s) query

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 10/23/02-12:04:37 PM Z

Take a look at Bayles & Orland's "Art and Fear: Observations on the perils
(and rewards) of artmaking". Also, a book I ran across just a few weeks ago
is Rudolf Arnheim's "Thoughts on art education". This is really worth
hunting down. Of at least indirect interest might be Hyde's "The gift". And
finally, a fine exploration of the spirit necessary to artmaking is M.C.
Richards' "Centering in pottery, poetry, and the person".

I also tend to think that thoughts on artmaking and the learning process do
not cast widely enough w/o also bringing in the writings of (1) artists, and
(2) good critics (by which I do not exclusively or even necessarily mean
"contemporary"). I am thinking of writers of the caliber and bent of, e.g.,
Arthur Danto, or E.H. Gombrich, or perhaps Kenneth Clark. Even a writer such
as John Berger offers considerable insight into the frames of mind that lead
to artmaking. As for artists, Harrison & Wood's "art in theory (1900-1990)",
Stiles and Selz's "Theories and documents of contemporary art: a sourcebook
of artists' writings", and Chipps' "Theories of modern art" all are
excellent collections of writings by and interviews of a great many 20th
century artists. Of course there also are many writings by earlier artists
as well. Barrett's photo book is good, although rather narrow, since it
really is devoted to a single medium. I would tend to encourage a more
general approach to art. Each medium not only brings certain inherent
strengths, but therefore also demands (and discourages) certain approaches.
Barnet's "A short guide to writing about art" might be worthwhile. Though he
does not address the question of how to make art per se, he does give
considerable, lucid, and salient attention to what artists "do" in their
different mediums.

Mike Healy