Re: Book(s) query

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/24/02-08:17:24 AM Z

<big snip from Judy>
I have read, or tried to read, the Terry Barrett book. That that one has
gotten so much approval suggests to me that no one has read it either. I
found everything in it so obvious, self-evident and ordinary -- at *best*
common sense ..... it verged on parody.
cheers,
Judy

Judy, et al,
     I have, in fact, read it several times, and beg to differ. It is a
good introduction to the critique process and the concept that photographs
function in different ways and should be evaluated differently. I like his
categories better than most other categorical divisions of photography. In
fact, I like it so much that I condensed the book into that handout I posted
on the web a while back. In fact, the book is probably above the heads of
most college age students, and therefore is a good textbook for classes to
get them thinking. Perhaps you feel this way because you read art crit and
make art crit all the time, but incoming freshmen photo majors are not there
yet. And, *I* even must not have felt it obvious/self-evident/ordinary,
because I've reread it and each time I do I come away with something
different.
     You know what I like most about Barrett? He is not one of those holier
than thou know it alls that thinks their opinion reigns and no one should
have any other--he allows for divergent ways of thinking, a quality I think
all teachers should have. I allow my students to have their own opinions
(well supported, as Barrett says--judgment must be supported with reasons),
and wish more faculty would do as such, and get away from the model of
teacher knows all and students are there to sop it up.
     And speaking of art education, as this was the original query, my role
as teacher I perceive as akin to midwife (in fact, a group of students and
myself were having this discussion last night over a couple pitchers of
beer!) that I am there to help that student birth whatever they have inside;
sometimes it is easy, sometimes I have to use forceps and they'll kick and
scream all the way, but it's not about me or my opinion but allowing them to
reach more of their personal potential, which, as we all well know, differs
with each student. That can be a juggling act. I like Mike
Csikszentmihalyi's statement: "The creative teacher is someone who sees in
each student what makes him/her different, and can enable him/her to see
his/her own future". The student who dings my chimes is one who could care
less about birthing that baby and would just rather forget about being
pregnant in the first place.
     My 2 cent critique.
Chris