RE: Book(s) query

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 10/24/02-04:49:27 AM Z

Jack-

> My hope was to have someone come across a fresh approach.
> Though Michael's
> mention on the potter (Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person), also
> old (40 years), was a lovely choice. But, my wish is to be hip and up to
> date.

Along those same lines, I believe, is a favorite book of mine "The Unknown
Craftsman - A Japanese Insight into Beauty." (Soetsu Yanagi) - a quirky book
written 40-50 years ago as well, but full of great things.

And I would also add to the list almost anything written by James Hillman
(hip? I dunno; up to date?? certainly! perhaps even ahead of itself). The
best "overview" of Hillman is a compendium of selected writings edited by
Thomas Moore called "A Blue Fire: Selected Writings of James Hillman."

It is my belief that the most important information art students need today
(and teachers need to pass on) lie outside "the arts" as they are
traditionally taught. But that is probably opening a can of worms....

Happy Trails....

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine