Re: Shooting Ortho/lith film in camera?

From: James Young (jamiehy@globaldialog.com)
Date: 10/24/02-06:10:32 PM Z

>James: I don't know what all your reasons are for using ortho film (one not
>metioned below is the ability to develop by inspection under red light), but
>if the old-time look is the main thing, then consider that using a blue filter
>creates the same effect. A particular blue filter is specified in The Film
>Developing Cookbook (#85?), but any filter that's blue blocks red light,
>so.... Using a blue filter with pan film instead of the red-blind film has
>some advantages, notably that you can rely on the well-known characteristics
>and developer-compatibilities of pan film. Information on development
>of ortho film seems to be quite a thicket. Still, for all I know, you may be
>dealing in the main with availability/price of great big film. If so, I'd
>point out that you can almost certainly get FP4+ and HP5+ cutoffs from Photo
>Warehouse at very reasonable prices. I've been getting it for 7x17. -jb

The big reason is the fact that ortho film is much cheaper compared
to pan 20x24 film. I don't think I care if it's slow, And I've heard
that people do continuous tone stuff with it. I didn't even think
about the fact I could develop with a safe light, but that sound very
attractive too. I'll have to check the price from photo warehouse,
but I'm looking for a cheap solution. The whole thing needs to be
done low budget. Jamie Young