Re: Book(s) query

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 10/24/02-11:28:53 PM Z

  Well, I will take this as comedic for I don't know what sort of artmaking
you refer to.
  However, perhaps my vernacular language exhibited my own datedness in
using the hip as a way to mean 'of today'. Merriam-Webster says of that word
as: "characterized by a keen informed awareness of or involvement in the
newest developments or styles"
  Your referral to SF falls upon another blank stare as I wonder what you
imply.
  However, Chris Lovenguth kindly dropped by today with his Becqueral
Daguerreotypes and a copy of James Elkins "Why Art Cannot Be taught" and the
Orland/Bayles "Art & Fear". Those two books contain the sort of informed
words I was after.
   I'd say your pejorative mind-vision of what art, SF, et al is about is
truly out of date. Perhaps you've been licking the stamps for your envelope
too much.
Jack