Re: Bellows , more questions...

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/24/02-09:17:39 PM Z

John Cremati wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to thank Sandy King for the valuable information he
>has sent... It was extremely helpful ,Thank you...
>I have a few other questions on this 20x24 inch bellows for anyone
>who is able to answer or give opinions....
>

>1) We are using two pieces of 60 inch wide of a light weight
>black 330d Cordura cloth which will have to be joined together to
>form the 20x24 parameter..... Would you sew and glue them together
>or just clamp and glue?

Just glue with contact cement.

>2) We will be using very heavy exposed and fixed out graphic film(
>estar based ) for the stiffeners that is .007(7 mill) in
>thickness... Has anyone ever used this as a stiffener material or
>are we making a mistake and should stick to a heavy card stock?

I think this might work well. But try it first with a smaller bellows.

>3) What type of glue do you think would be best using Cordura( a
>nylon) and estar film mix that would not add much bulk and would
>remain flexible..... ?

Contact cement is the best in my opinion. And for maximum
convenience, try the spray on type.

>4) Would you recommend building and using a form for such a large bellows?

Yes. For this size bellows a frame is almost necessary.

>5 ) Would you coat the outside or inside of the finished bellows
>with some sort of rubberized black out paint?

No need to do so if you use a completely opaque material like the
Porter's darkroom cloth on the outside. The inside material functions
primarily to reduce flare and should be very flat black.

>Once we finally begin to make this camera we will document every
>thing and make it available to all..
>Thanks,
>John Cremati

Great, really look forward to seeing this.

Sandy King