Re: Book(s) query

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/25/02-09:59:27 AM Z

This is sort of turning in to a “what is it about modern art that I hate so
much” discussion again. But I agree with some of your points Michael. I do
however have issue with your basic premise.

First about Radiohead (just joking)…no really… you should be more worried
about the new students putting Britany Spears and N’Snyc posters in their
dorm rooms (yes people are telling me they are seeing this on campus) then
people listening to Radiohead. (Again this is all in fun here I hope you
know)

Now to some serious stuff. While I think I understand where you are coming
from, your points are based on a foundation that young students and
“hipness” equals a lack of intelligence, bad art and somehow a compromised
reading ability (which I don’t know why you keep bringing this up). The
thing is while these young students are still learning, they have figured
out something that maybe you might have missed. In order to make it in this
profession (it is a profession as well as passion) you have to be “hip” and
sell yourself. Thank Warhol and New York city artist for that (sorry if that
offends any New York city people on this list, you are all a bunch of nice
people)! The competition is so extreme out there you have just as much of a
chance being a rock or movie star then getting a show in a somewhat known
gallery. These new students understand this. They also know that galleries
will only take the “hippest”, “freshest” work out there. Why would galleries
want another collection of Ansel Adams-like landscapes when there is so much
new and “hip” work out here?

This is the reality and for a lack of a better word, it sucks! I mean you
have to sell yourself just to get in to grad school (which I can’t even do)
because the competition is so strong. I understand when applying there are
300+ others out there with at least half that number having portfolios
comparable and/or better to mine. All of us fighting it out for four to six
open spots. Pretty soon, if not now, you will have to be on that competitive
wave in order to just get in to most BFA programs. That is the reality. It’s
hip to be an artist and intelligent hip people who can sell themselves as
well as what they are trying to do in their work will get the spots and
shows. Sorry if that ruins your day. -Chris

>From: Michael Healy <mjhealy@kcnet.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Book(s) query
>Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:02:10 -0700
>
>Sorry to tell you this, Jack, but I am from San Francisco. Played my Haight
>and Avenue and SOMA haunts for many a year until very recently. Spent 5-6
>days a week printing at Rayko in SOMA. Enjoyed a fine summer there printing
>alongside Zig Jackson before he too packed up and left, for Savannah. I was
>fortunate to leave Rayko before they suffered their demise and got closed
>down. No, I know your town. The more it changes, the more it has remained
>the same. Say otherwise, and I'm afraid I will (respectfully, I hope) nurse
>the suspicion that you either suffer those delusions peculiar to SFans, or
>haven't lived there long enough to see the planets' return. Which will
>happen, I promise you. Meanwhile the proper response was, "I'm outraged!"
>
>Seriously, though, my response was not intended to be pejorative at all. I
>was being deadly serious. On two points. First of all, the idea of "out of
>date" sounds really bizarre to me. It sounds painfully ridiculous. Sure,
>painting like Monet is out-of-date. Talking like a Beat poet may be kind of
>out of date (unless you frequent what's left of North Beach...) I recognize
>this syndrome all too well. Sad to say, I think it is especially prevalent
>in the so-called SF art scene. But that wasn't my point. My point was, what
>the hell does it even mean to talk about art and out of date?
>
>The trouble is, artmaking, and you can like this fact or hate it, embrace
>it
>or deny it, but the fact is, artmaking sweeps us into the (now) long
>continuum and dialectic of at least six centuries of Western artmaking.
>This
>is true whether you paint or work clay or shoot images. Artmaking certainly
>has a history of attempting to break ground, or just to "break with".
>Perhaps that's what you were referring to. We do live in an age that has
>acreted plenty of mod names; yet it is interesting to observe that this age
>remains fleeting as to its true "label". One thing I would note: artmaking
>seldom has been artmaking by accident or mere impulse. I mean to say that
>the reflective human being -- the experienced human being? -- and I don't
>care whether they make art or or only get up every day and live their
>life -- had better exercise a conscience if s/he is to be taken seriously
>by
>people who take this stuff seriously. We forgive a 19-yr-old kid for
>failing
>to understand this. How could they think otherwise? Geez, all of us were
>19-yr-old kids. Maybe it would be safer to say that we HAD BETTER look the
>other way, so they can find their feet underneath them. But for how long
>are
>we supposed to do this? Not until they're 60. Not even until they're 40. I
> [...]

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.