Re: Blue Filter?/was Shooting Ortho/lith film in camera?

From: James Young (jamiehy@globaldialog.com)
Date: 10/25/02-11:44:57 PM Z

><PRE>Hi Jeff. Would you please explain to me how a blue filter will
>help deliver a
>19th C. look? What will the final print look like, compared to regular pan
>film?? And how much blue? Do you know the filter number?? Thanks. Arthur

Wet plate emulsions and early films were only sensitive to uv and
the blue end of the spectrum. Green and red objects tended to look
dark, and blue objects were very bright. various photgraphers would
have a sky negative, for example, that they would use to get clouds.
They would make a double exposure on their prints using a sky neg, as
the skies on most wet plate films would be washed out.
Orthochromatic films were an improvement, being sensitive into the
green part of the spectrum. Using a blue filter with pan film cuts
out the green and red part of the spectrum, imitating the spectral
sensitivity of the early pre ortho and pan emulsions.
Jamie Young