Re: films for scanning

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 10/25/02-08:36:28 PM Z

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Darryl Baird wrote:

===some deleted: snip%<

> From my own experience, certain films grain structure seems to create
> problems, especially if you sharpen. Kodak EPN comes to mind as a
> particularly odious film for scanning. I'd be interested in hearing from
> folks who have scanned Kodachrome and slower Ektachrome emulsions too.
> I'd also like to see what comparisons between Kodacolor vs. Ektar would
> tell.

===rest deleted: snip%<

Sandy - I can not speak to negative films, or scanning for that
matter. I would note that Kodak claims that their new Ektachrome
duplicating film "Edupe" is designed specifically for scanning. You
might check with the folks at Ilford because I seem to recall they
made similar claims for their proprietary B&W transparency film. I'd
be skeptical though since claims about a products positive aspects are
often cooked up by the folks in charge of marketing and propaganda.

-greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>

from the "you get what you pay for" department:

According to a GAO report in May of 1997, the GAO found that more than
$43 billion in Pentagon expenditures could not be accounted for.

                        Jeremy Scahill. "Pacifica Evening News:
                        Democrats protest Pentagon budget increase."
                        New York: WBAI 99.5 FM, 1999 January 21.