Re: still having gilding issues can anyone help?

From: Mnt Mike (mnt_mike@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/28/02-09:38:19 PM Z

Sounds strange. Are you using a two step formula ? My guilding formula calls
for the gold chloride and hypo to be mixed, it is basically the same as
yours but the thiosulphate solution is mixed slowly with the gold chloride
solution to form 1L. It must be done slowly and shaken together.
I had several problem with too much heat when I first started also, many
text I read said the plate should be heated until small yellow bubble appear
and steam rises, but that proved to be too much heat. I now place my plate
in a shallow pan with just enough solution to cover the plate and heat just
until the silver portions take on a steel look the cool the plate in water.
Hope that helps, good luck

>From: Christopher Lovenguth <zantzant@hotmail.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: still having gilding issues can anyone help?
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:49:39 +0000
>
>Hi all, I need suggestions on an issue I'm still having with gilding my
>daguerreotype plates. I have 1 gram of gold chloride in 500ml of distilled
>water (mixed last night fresh but had these issues with my last batch as
>well) and I am mixing an equal amount sodium (the solution is 4 grams to
>500ml water) to make a working solution. My problem is that my plates are
>instantly (5-10 seconds) turning dark, destroying the highlights and making
>the entire plate almost non-viewable. My only hope in being successful at
>this process is to dunk the plate in and pull it out instantly, but that's
>not true gilding and often stains my plate.
>
>I've tried increasing the water to the point that I'm using 50ml of the
>gold chloride solution(1g to 500ml concentration) to an additional 150ml of
>water (making 200ml) then and equal amount of sodium thiosulphate solution.
>Still my plates are turning dark blue in under 30 seconds. I've tried less
>heat (since more heat makes the process happen faster) to the point that my
>last attempt was just above what I would guess as hot tap water. I've tried
>less and more sodium thiosulphate concentration and even tried no sodium
>thiosulphate, that didn't help. I've tried an extended gilding to see if
>the instant coloring would disappear, that did nothing but eat my image off
>the plate.
>
>Why would my plates be changing so fast and the highlights turning dark?
>
>Any suggestions? -chris

>Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.
>http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!