Re: Found a copy of "elementary photographic chemistry" Kodak, 1936

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/28/02-09:17:57 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip willarney" <pwillarney@yahoo.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 11:06 AM
Subject: Found a copy of "elementary photographic chemistry"
Kodak, 1936

> This might be useful to someone out there. I found a
> copy of a book at a photo show recently titled
> "Elementary Photographic Chemistry Eastman Kodak
> Company Rochester, N.Y." dated 1936.
>
> Chapters include
>
> I. An Outline of Elementary Chemistry
> II. The Chemistry of Photographic Materials
> III. The Chemistry of Development
> IV. The Chemistry of Fixation
> V. The Chemistry of Washing
> VI. The Chemistry of Reduction and Intensification
> VII. The Chemistry of Toning
> VIII. Formulas
> IX. Preparing Solutions
> X. Using Solutions
>
> It has a number of formulae (formulas?) for
> developers, fixers, toners, etc. I'm not clear what
> the copyright status of this material is, but if
> someone wanted a few formulas out of it, I wouldn't
> say no.
>
> pwillarney@yahoo.com

  FWIW, I have the 1921 edition and the 1934 edition of
this. I suspect it was replaced by the small "Processing and
Formulas" booklet when the _Kodak Reference Handbook_ came
out about 1940. The book is much more complete than the KRH
booklet. The 1921 edition was published before any of the
familiar Kodak formulas, like D-76 (1926) or D-72 (Dektol)
existed. The film developers are Pyro types, something Kodak
seemed to avoid later.
   Neither of my editions mentions a previous one so there
is no way of telling when Kodak started publishing them.
  This is the sort of stuff people were throwing away not so
long ago, now considered rather valuable since the
information is hard to find in current sources.
  Congratulations on finding this and recoginzing its value.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com