difference between sodium thiosulphate and sodium sulphite ?

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/29/02-09:11:46 PM Z

This is sort of a joke on me posted to you all but a lesson learned and I
thought I'd share.

Does anyone know the difference between sodium thiosulphate and sodium
sulphite? How about whether your daguerreotype plates gild or not when used
with gold chloride. I have been attempting to gild my plates over the last
four months with a concoction of gold chloride and sodium sulphite. Funny
thing is over and over I read and reread the recipe and asked people about
gilding. And over and over I have been seeing the word "Thiosulphate" and
making it out to be "Sulphite". It finally dawned on me yesterday at work
when someone email me and was talking about the concentration of hypo for
gilding. The instant I saw that I realized that all this time I had
convinced myself that I was suppose to be using sodium sulphite even while
reading and telling people thiosulphate.

Like I said to someone else, I'm glad I'm not a chemist or pharmacist
because I would have killed myself and/or someone else by now. Thankfully
the chemicals I use are not too dangerous. This has to be the stupidest
thing I have ever done!

Needless to say I have now gilded my plates with the right formula and can't
believe how nice and permanent (I can touch the plates now and the image
doesn't instantly rub off) my images are.

Thought I would humble myself here on this list and tell you all this. Plus
I know someone out there will get a kick out of it! WOW... this goes in the
"idiotic things I've done" vault of mine! -Chris