Re: difference between sodium thiosulphate and sodium sulphite ?

From: David Eastman (clearemulsions@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/30/02-07:52:18 PM Z

Full circle!

You know, I was afraid that might happen. In my head a
little voice was whispering "Hey, wasn't that
sulfIte... not sulfAte?"

But do you know what I said to that pesky little
voice? I said "Shut up! I know what I am doing!"
Never-the-less,I wondered as I wrote, but seeing as
how the topic was about being wrong... and all, well I
wanted to trust myself and not check...

Again I have not checked... but I do think you are
right... I was wrong...

HYPO is short for the WORD sodium hyposulfite
which was used to describe the traditional fixer we
have all known and used, but unfortunately, that same
WORD in addition to inaccurately describing the common
fixing agent, is also used to refer to another
substance somewhat similar(?)in formula, sodium
hydrosulfite, which, (I could be wrong again) I THINK
is what they THOUGHT our fixing agent really was
chemically, and therefore explains why they gave it
the name HYPO.

 If you have any greater insight on this matter,
please illuminate!

Thanks for drawing my attention to this careless
mistake.

JG