Sorry for the over long answer

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 09/01/02-09:24:26 AM Z

That is a good question Sandy . .
  I've begun teaching for Autumn now and am engrossed in those aspects of
color and landscape. Spring it will be back to historical process and
reversing a number of standard photo processes. Because of it being one of
the 1st ways to print a photographic and is so pure, it's a great intro for
the post beginning person. I've been able to do it but not perfect it on a
consistent basis w/out stain etc. This time I want to use Stouffer wedge
etc. to bring that consistency to the class rather than a demonstration.
  Overall there appears to be greater interest in the older processes and
therefore a more detailed investigation is necessary. Too, w/out governing
the student in a more thorough process, they are less apt to waste chemicals
and cover the walls with stains.
  A parallel notion might be the technique of masking in making a reversal
color print that is inherently filled w/contrast. It takes the student a
good amount of patience and if procedure is carefully laid out, the result
is better, student proficient and knowledgeable and our darkroom facility
has less wear and tear.
  In other words, I wish to be prepared.
Jack