transparentizer

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/02/02-09:49:28 AM Z

I came across this formula in E.J. Wall's Practical Color Photography from
1928 and thought I would pass it along, for what it is worth. I know
someone has asked a question before on the list about transparentizing paper
negs.
     Beeswax 20g
     Resin 20g
     Turpentine 1000ml
Melt the wax, add the resin, preferably in powder form, and finally add the
turpentine slowly with constant stirring. Make a pad of absorbent cotton,
wrapped in a piece of linen cloth, pour a little of the wax solution on the
pad and rub over the surface, then polish off the wax with a cloth. Hang 24
hr to dry.
     Who knows if this is still usable today, or better than other formulae.
I think the resin is available thru Daniel Smith, tho. I know the beeswax
is, in purified form. I certainly wouldn't mix up a liter of the
stuff--that'd last for lifetimes.
Chris