Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 09/02/02-07:32:20 PM Z

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> The landscape work of Ansel Adams is the artistic culmination of an
> impressive photographic tradition that began with the work of
> photographers like Timothy O'Sullivan, William Bell, Carelton
> Watkins, William Henry Jackson and others.

Sandy, I think "culmination" is the wrong word. Certainly Adams was
influenced by the work of those who had gone before him, but I don't
think that the genre reached its' peak or came to an end with Adams.
I do think that landscape photography is just as worthwhile today as
it was before.

Best

-greg schmitz