Re: transparentizer

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/02/02-07:48:10 PM Z

Yes, resin as I know it is Damar; it is under the varnish section in Daniel
Smith, listed as Gum Damar Crystals: "Damar is a natural resin tapped from
the damar fir tree. When dissolved in pure gum turpentine, it yields a
varnish which can be used as a final picture varnish or thinned with more
turpentine and stand oil to make a glazing medium". 1 lb of the crystals
are $9. Under the recipe for making your own damar varnish, you mix 1 part
damar crystals and 1 part pure gum turpentine--equal parts by volume. It
says to place in a tightly capped bottle and agitate daily until the resin
has dissolved. It may take several days to reach the desired thick,
honey-like consistency. This is page 47 of the 2000-2001 catalog, the
biggie one.
     I am assuming the resin hardens the beeswax and makes it less meltable.
I know that encaustic paints that you buy are also mixed with resin a bit to
make them more stable. Now, whether you could just buy some liquid damar
from the art store and mix in beeswax, might be something to consider.
Chris