Pride and Prejudice: - WAS Re: Psychanalysis/ The Natural Order of Things

From: David Hosten (dhosten@sympatico.ca)
Date: 09/03/02-05:32:16 AM Z

Gordon,

I applaud your firm stance on profanity and 'personal disrespect'.

Would you also be so kind as to help abbreviate some of the discussions
on this list which lately have seemed to drift so far afield from the
major topic at hand?

I seem to recall some very rigorous discussion in the past where it
appeared some posters personally denigrated the holders of opposing
views and positions. I see that some of these people are still
participating prominent members of this list.

Perhaps its just my perception, but does being older and wiser, having
an arts degree, being an exhibited and respected photographer or being a
friend of the list maintainer hold others to a different degree of
'prosecution'?

I had my churlish episode and apologized immediately. Its seems as
though the 'rude' list member did not have the chance to do even that.
I know that Free Speech is not a guaranteed freedom in the Canadian
Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but surely it is part of the American
Constitution.

I'm guessing that the poster was young, and probably angst ridden. I did
not unburden myself of a lot of that until later years, marriage and all
that growing up stuff caught up with me. If he was willing to discuss
his feelings with the poster he had issues with off-list, and apologize
to them/you/list, he may have something of Alternative Photographic
merit to discuss later.

The latest View Camera had the personal work of an interesting young man
with a hand-built large format camera which he used to help produce
Platinum prints.
I'd be very interested in what he had to say about his work,

Not At All Interested in His Opinions on the validity of someone elses
Art. Or if he wished to wax eloquent on Art Theory, since so many art
theorists can't agree, as Art is Not Science.

Note: I was former editor of International Free Press, and have always
been extremely sensitive to the curtailing of what I believe should be
universal freedoms. At least one of my ancestors was a slave in the West
Indies, making my sensitivity to Freedom of Speech especially personal.
That is my statement of bias.

BTW I am a lot closer to attaining the level of quality in my work that
I will feel confident enough to share with others via a future website.

David Hosten
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada