Re: working for a client?

From: Jeff Sumner (jdos2@mindspring.com)
Date: 09/03/02-07:54:34 AM Z

It depends on what your client wants. There's a heated discussion over in rec.photo.equipment.medium-format about this exact
thing.

What it boils down to, for me, is that if I give away my negatives I lose the right to make money off reprints. If the client wants the
negatives, I have to guess (figure) the likelihood of them wanting reprints and how much I'd make from them and add that into the
price of the shoot.

Since it isn't my profession, I usually just include the negatives with the "photo credit" caveat, if the customer wants them. I
increase the price a bit. I don't have an archival storage facility that can handle all the negatives I would collect.

JD

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:41:45 -0500, shannon stoney wrote:

>Somebody asked me yesterday to make some large format photographs of
>his landscaping work so that he can use them on his website and make
>some large prints to hang in his office and garden store. I was
>going to charge him a small hourly fee and let him pay for the film
>and processing and give him the negatives to have prints made; and
>maybe I would scan them for him also. My partner has hired
>architectural photographers before, and he said that he thinks the
>normal thing is for the photographer to keep the negatives and have
>prints made for the client. Would it be better to do it that way, or
>give the guy the negatives? I've never done anything "for hire"
>before so I'm not sure how to proceed.
>
>--shannon
>--

JD