working for a client?

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 09/03/02-07:41:45 AM Z

Somebody asked me yesterday to make some large format photographs of
his landscaping work so that he can use them on his website and make
some large prints to hang in his office and garden store. I was
going to charge him a small hourly fee and let him pay for the film
and processing and give him the negatives to have prints made; and
maybe I would scan them for him also. My partner has hired
architectural photographers before, and he said that he thinks the
normal thing is for the photographer to keep the negatives and have
prints made for the client. Would it be better to do it that way, or
give the guy the negatives? I've never done anything "for hire"
before so I'm not sure how to proceed.

--shannon