RE: Landscape Photography

From: Philip willarney (pwillarney@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/03/02-09:30:35 PM Z

--- Steve Bell <veracity000@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ok, when it comes to me finding most landscape
> photography boring
...snip....
> last fall i took my first photography class, and i
> was obsessed with
> getting the perfect landscape. i read 'the
> negative', i read 'the print', i
> bought the necessary filters and i went out and shot
> and shot and shot and
> shot. i suppose it is very possible that i have
> bored myself.
...snip...

Tying in with the earlier discussions about "it's been
done before" about photos, I think there's some truth
in the idea that you have to do something to
understand how to do it, even if landscapes are common
-- I mean, at some level, you can take pictures of
people, places, or things. So what's new to take
pictures of?

Most folks studying fine art wind up taking still life
classes or figure drawing classes, where they draw,
again and again with minor variations, the fruit and
the vase and the naked body (often though not always a
naked lady, although I won't add to that discussion at
the moment!). You have to draw, a lot, to learn how
to draw, and you can't stop: many artists keep doing
figure drawing, for instance, because it keeps their
eyes and their hands talking: it's really pretty hard
to translate what the eye sees into marks on paper
that "work" at showing what you saw, and they have to
keep in practice.

I think taking pictures -- people, places, or things
-- is probably a lot like that. I have to take the
picture of the sunset, your mother, the old barn by
the road, to learn how to take more pictures. Sure
it's been done before -- but, as someone said earlier
in the discussion, not by me. I'm still looking, hard,
for my "voice" in photography, and if I spend too much
time thinking about what other folks have done before
it just blocks me up. All I can do is go out with my
camera, and look for the next picture.

Philip