It May have been done before but not by me

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 09/04/02-03:37:11 AM Z

       I would just like to applaud Philips Willarney thread..."It may have
been done before but not by me " I feel is a great way of looking at
things... Also It may have been done before but I may not have ever seen
it!.......How can anyone ever hope to evolve if they have no basis to evolve
from.......
            Many painters learn their craft by going into museums and
actually try to duplicate masters. Many museums allow this and many Art
schools offer this....They learn their techniques, and vision by attempting
to make a copy ......Many sculptures do the same thing....
        Then low and behold ,one day they wake up and start to think and
begin to
imagine!...."Their" world begins to open.....Now wouldn't that make a great
picture, then from there, Hey, if I did this a little different that would
really look great.... And on and on....It is a wonderful process and to get
weighed down by "Its been done before" is like throwing water and sand on
a fire... You want to take really good pictures? Then start a morgue file
of
other photographers work that fascinates you. And when you find yourself
in
a similar situation or wish to try to create it , go for it ! Then learn
from it,
then allow yourself to evolve.....It may take a month, a year or 10 years,
but sooner or later your style will emerge from things you find interesting
and enjoy....
       So all you cutting edge photographers please forgive us for admiring
the beauty of just the simple old landscape, a portrait of grandma, the
honesty in a picture of the children, or a picture of a flower ........ We
all
start somewhere....and not all of us have the vision and imagination and
talent of a modern Master , but we can all work toward that same star
and have a lot of fun doing it..
   Besides, The rude awakening of what the minds eye thinks, and what
the picture actually is after being developed, as well as all the technical
aspects are enough to deal
with..
John C.