Re: direct duplicating film

PhotonTom@aol.com
Date: 09/04/02-11:11:25 AM Z

    I am not sure about Kodak's direct duplicating film in larger sizes, but
I know of two alternatives. Many (many !!) years ago I got the idea that
radiologists might need duplicates of X-rays and I contacted a medical film
supply house and found that there was, indeed, an x-ray duplicating material
(would have to be direct duplication). I obtained some of it (Italian
manufacture) and as I recall it was in 14X17 size and strictly ortho... the
old red light safelight worked fine. And it was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, even more
so than the Kodak.
I was using it to make enlarged (4x5) negatives from 2-1/4 and 35mm negs for
retouching purposes (commerical portrait appliction). Worked great, but did
require a 60-180 sec. exposure at 4x5... bigger would be slower. I also had
fun making multiple major enlargements until grain was like golf balls. (10X
three times=1,000X)
    The second technique I know (not tried by me, BTW) was to use large
format litho film...expose it as a positive and "flash" the film (eg., give
it a 10%-100% additional exposure with a diffuser over the enlarging lens) to
control contrast.... process it through the first developer, wash, then
BLEACH then reexpose then redevelop (the now negative image left over from
the bleaching), rinse, fix, wash, dry. The technique was outlined in
Professional Photographer by the technical editor, Don Emmerich, several
years ago. His article demonstrated excellent contrast control and as a the
owner of a viable commercial studio it was a technique he used for real
clients and real results. Should be worth the search.
     Cheers,
Tom Crowe
Thomas Crowe Studios-Photographic Arts
"Lost in East Tennessee"